Monday, April 19, 2010

A 19th Century historic school house reduced to...chairs and shelves?

Here it is, definitive proof that a historic building does not have to be reduced to rubble in order to provide value to the city...and it also turns out that I really don't have to face the rush hour traffic on 2 East/90 East coming out of downtown this afternoon to take pictures of the school at East 55th and St. Clair that I saw get deconstructed for my internship (this I promised in an earlier blog).I found a blog on it at the A Piece of Cleveland site. Super cool pictures. The architect in charge of this school was also commissioned to do the Arcade downtown. You know the building is beautiful now. Plus, the material harvested was used to make the furniture below and the bricks were recycled and donated to urban gardens for walkways, etc. free of charge. Plus, the site of the building is being used for an urban garden in the future, thanks to new Cleveland urban garden zoning laws. The furniture is not necessarily my style (minimalistic Ikea-esque furniture makes my stomach turn most times), but this is way too novel and amazing to be passed up.To learn a little bit more about Stanard School, click here.

From this:


















To this:














No comments:

Post a Comment