Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Destroy what destroys

Reading this makes me want to take a trip to Detroit as soon as possible (I never thought I was capable of such an utterance).
An artist there is doing some amazing things right now to highlight vacant space in much of the same way as pop-up city has done in Cleveland, yet I am almost inclined to say in a somewhat cooler way (but not THAT much). I love this so much because it was during my first trip to Detroit from Bowling Green that I realized I the passion I had for environmental issues. Drivng through the River Rouge on I-75 would upset just about anyone. All you see is litter on the side of the roads, smog being pumped out of factories, and blighted neighborhoods that make anyone familiar with the term "Not In My Back Yard" (or NIMBY for short) and the concept of environmental racism, fuming mad.

The artist, Tyree Guyton and his project the Heidelberg Project, has turned a whole section of a neighborhood into a magical urban wonderland. Houses once vacant are now occupied and adorned with the very things that made them so unwelcoming in the first place. Guyton transforms trash and other relics of a home once loved into something so appropriately symoblic of a rustbelt city...A city once booming with productivity and the promise of acquiring the American Dream. A dream that everyone has begun to chase after elsewhere.


I cannot urge anyone who has kept up with this blog enough to utilize the links I am tagging on to this post. Read about it more on gcbl as well. Please watch this video too:

1 comment: