Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I've been smited by a sustainable business

Well, I am working on securing some reservations for a dinner after commencement and I of course thought to go to the Greenhouse Tavern downtown on East 4th. I thought it appropriate to really reign in all everything I have learned by being obnoxious and forcing everyone else to eat vegan chickpea mush (which I would love by the way) and washing it down with local beer. But I have hit a bump in the road...

Greenhouse Tavern wants $1,500 for a reservation of 6...up front.

I understand there aren't great theoretical ties to be made here in the fact that I can't/refuse to pay that amount to eat there on my big day and the concept of sustainability as a whole (they are trying to run a business, right?) But I find it extremely ironic given the circumstance.

Looks like I will commit some fundamental hypocrisy on my graduation day by sedating my sustainability stupor with a meal crafted from dozens of ingredients shipped from all over the world...and country. And to top it off, there will be 15-20 of us...what a demand we will create in the global food market and what a hit for the local.

1 comment:

  1. just a disclosure (kidding about the Foie Gras clams...)

    ReplyDelete